Coaching & Guidance
A personal, intimate, and in-depth journey of discovery
All stories are welcome
When we work one-on-one, you and I create the listening and storytelling space together. I serve as a guide through the terrain, just like a game ranger would lead you through the wilderness. I know the territory, have the necessary tools, and am skilled at dealing with situations as they arise.
Whether I’m working with individuals, small groups, or larger communities, my approach is ethnographic, a staple method of anthropology. I bring myself and the totality of my own experience as an instrument for entering the experience and worldview of others. Through this understanding, I guide students through the creative process of excavating, crafting, and telling personal stories.
"People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances with our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive."
Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth
Why story? Why now?
- Because life is precious
- Because you want to live in a genuine relationship with yourself
- Because you want to tap into your true potential
- Because there isn’t a moment to waste
I'm Murray Nossel
After a thirty-year artistic and academic quest in New York City, I am returning to my first passion, which is to help people master life’s challenges by tapping into their creativity.
I began as a research psychologist in South Africa, experimenting with methods of improving creativity, followed by my work as a clinical psychologist. I discovered that people transformed when they were encouraged to express themselves creatively.
This realization was reinforced when I worked with AIDS patients in New York for whom personal storytelling was an access to feeling blissfully alive, even as they faced death.
As a documentary filmmaker and performer of my own story on-stage, I experienced firsthand the liberating and healing power of stories. Having met my first lamas in 1996, Tibetan Buddhism is now the guiding principle of my work as a guide and coach.
Individual coaching is for you if:
- You want to honestly and genuinely find out who you are
- You need someone who is willing to listen openly and without judgment
- You want to have a tried and tested method you can rely on that gives you the confidence necessary to tell your story
- You are ready to experience how the story you tell about your life defines who you are, both for others and for yourself
The Lion's Gaze Coaching Method
What do you need to know before working with me? How is this different from other coaching styles or therapy?
My specific methods include:
- Helping you establish daily practices, including meditation and journal writing
- Teaching you to become your own best listener
- Teaching the “What Happened?” sense-based storytelling method
- Working with sensory memory to elicit story details
- Refining the story arc
- Reviewing the method in action: how it’s manifesting in your life and relationships